I am an empath, and to be honest, a couple months back I wouldn’t have understood what on earth that meant. An empath, as I learned, is a person that has the ability (I think everyone has this ability) to perceive the emotional state of someone else. For instance, if someone around you is going through tough times you feel those same emotions as if it were happening to you– you are affected by other people’s energies.
Before I became conscious of energies, I would be in an amazing mood in the mornings and randomly my mood would shift, I would feel angry or sad when I walked into a room. At some points, I thought I was bi-polar or just straight up crazy. Earlier this year, I became a Reiki Healer and began to learn about energies and frequencies. I learned how everyone lives at a certain vibrational level and it highly depends on their emotional and mental state. That is when I learned that my mood swings were caused by the moods my emotional body picked up from other people around me.
I have tried so many different techniques and strategies to stay in control of my own emotions and energies, but most of these practices required extensive meditations, and lets face it, on most days we can’t just stop what we are doing to meditate in the middle of our offices. As a result, I created a much more practical practice which can be done anywhere at anytime to keep our own energies protected and strong.
These strategies don’t require you to sit in an extensive meditative space. You can protect your energies with these 5 practices at just about anywhere… the grocery store, your school, or place of work. It is important for an empath to learn how to protect their energies, because if they don’t protect themselves they become other people’s energetic garbage disposals and take all that negative energy to their homes.
Don’t trust everything you feel, rationalize why you feel the way you do, and ask– Are these my own energies and emotions?
5 Ways to Protect your Energies
- Use Yes Selectively. In order to protect your energies you must value your energies. If you are consistently giving, and doing other people favors that leaves you with no time to give to yourself– to fill yourself. This is the fastest way your energies become depleted. To protect your energies you must fill them up and have them fully charged.
- Walk away from negative vibes respectfully. I have found, as an empath, that the best way to keep my energies intact is to walk away from a negative person. I want to make clear that a negative person doesn’t mean that person is bad. A negative person is simply someone that is vibrating at a low frequency maybe because they are going through tough times or they are mentally stuck with negative thoughts. Many times you find that people stuck in negativity are so consumed in resentment and fear that they reject help. So if you are constantly trying to lift someone else’s spirits and they don’t seem to care, this can take from your energies. I like to smile at those people, give them my blessings, and walk away. On the contrary, if someone asks me for guidance I will be more than happy to help them. But we have no control over anyone and if someone wishes to live within their own pity party accept them and walk away, don’t become consumed by them.
- Don’t stoop down to them argumentatively. Many people don’t understand the reason behind speech. The real reason why we communicate with one another is to come together, and share our hearts through our ideas. Arguing with others over who is right or wrong will automatically deplete your energies and leave you tired, and angry. Strive to share your ideas and accept that everyone has the right to have their own beliefs.
- Analyze how they make you feel retrospectively. There are leeches and there are butterflies. It’s sad to say but the people that are closest to us (family/friends) can sometimes aim to bring us down or control us. It is difficult to do this if someone is close to us, but we must all strive to open our eyes and realize the intentions behind each person and analyze whether that person wants the best for us or not. This isn’t to say you have to eliminate them from your life, but you have to become aware of the people that share their good energy/positive vibes with you (“The Butterflies”), and those that bring you down (“The Leeches). If someone irritates you, chances are they are leeching off of your energies and you must then protect yourself energetically by hanging out less with that person or protecting your energies before you hangout with him/her. (I will be creating a separate post with an Energy Protective Guided Meditation).
- Send them all love collectively. Like Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.” We are all in this together– we are all here living to evolve and find love. We must learn to love those that are rude to us, those that dislike us, or those that have done us wrong. The highest vibrational energy is LOVE, and when you spread love no one will ever be able to dim your light by dumping their hate onto you.
SHINE BRIGHT BEAUTIES!!